Vicious, grumpy loner and berserker huntsman.
Real Name: Dmitri Boris Valentine
Hometown: Boston, Massechusets
Species: Male Moreau
- Genetic Ativism: Due to Dr. Simian’s genetic tampering, Feral has resulted in a mutation that seems to be a form of genetic ativism (or genetic traits that resurface in a species after many years of dormancy). He possesses neotenous (traits that resemble those found in an ancestor organism) characteristics, which explain why he’s a big modern predatory cat with an ape-like physique. Not perfectly, obviously, but that seems to be part of it.
- Superhumanly Acute Senses: Feral possesses superhumanly acute senses that are comparable to those of certain animals. He can see at far greater distances, with perfect clarity, than an ordinary human. He retains this same level of clarity even in near-total darkness and complete darkness. His hearing is enhanced in a similar manner, allowing him to detect sounds ordinary humans can’t even hear at a greater distance, enough to hear a teardrop in another room that has thick walls with enough focus. He is able to recognize people and objects by scent, even if they’re well-hidden. He can tack a target by scent, even if it’s been eroded by time, weather or other factors, with an extraordinary degree of success. He can also use his scent to detect lies due to chemical changes within a person’s scent the sound.
- Enhanced Strength: Feral is incredibly strong, able to lift about 800 lbs. with little difficulty; his strength is sufficient enough to smash through a brick wall and throw a full-grown human man with ease. This strength extends to the muscles in his legs, allowing him to leap 15 feet in a standing high jump and 25 feet in a standing broad jump.
- Enhanced Speed: He can run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural limits of the finest human athlete; he can run at speeds of up to 40 miles per hour over short distances, particularly if he runs on all fours. It also allows him to attack opponents before they can react and pull their trigger fingers and even keep up with opponents who move at low-level superhuman speeds.
- Enhanced Stamina: Feral’s highly advanced musculature produces less fatigue toxins during physical activity than that of an ordinary human. He can exert himself at peak capacity for several hours before he begins to become impaired. He’s also indicated that he no longer needs a full night sleep, due to his largely animalistic nature.
- Superhuman Durability: Feral’s bodily tissues are harder and more resistant to certain types of injuries than the bodies of normal humans. His physiology can withstand great impact forces, though he can still be injured by conventional weapons. However, he can withstand physical impacts, such as falling from several stories or being physically struck by superhumanly strong opponents that would severely injure or even kill a normal human with little to no discomfort.
- Superhuman Agility: Feral’s agility, balance and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the normal natural physical limits of a human being. He has the agility of a predatory cat combined with the acrobatic prowess of an Olympic-level gymnast. He can walk a tightrope or slack rope as easily as most people can walk on the sidewalk. He can also walk on his hands for many hours or perform more complicated gymnastic stunts, such as flips, rolls and springs with ease. This also allows him to operate at full capacity during stealth operations.
- Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are enough that he is able to evade gunfire and opponents with superspeed in combat. He can react at low-level superhuman speed.
- Increased Healing Factor: His increased metabolism allows him to repair mild injuries much faster than a normal human.
- Minor Pheromone Manipulation: Feral has the ability to secret pheromones that attract members of the opposite sex, much like most male mammals.
- Animal Empathy: Feral has the ability to sense the emotional states of animals on a basic level, such as fear, anger, happiness or pain. He can even communicate with them to make the animal aware of his actions and/or his intent.
- Unbreakable Claws: Feral sports retractable, 5-inch razor sharp claws at the tip of each finger and toe. Their natural edges, coupled with his strength, are sufficient to rend most conventional materials, such as flesh, wood and stone, and even metal effortlessly, like he was cutting paper. He can climb up vertical surfaces by wedging his fingers and toes into the smallest of cracks, or just making holds with his claws. He possesses elongated canines that he can use, if he chooses to do so, as effective weapons in close quarter combat situations. His claws, teeth and bones are harder than steel.
Feral is a gruff loner who has a strong sense of personal honor. He’s also got a wild, animal-like nature to him and a savage, “berserker” rage which he tries (and often fails) to control. He is perfectly at home in the wilderness, often more so than he is indoors or in the city. He is one of the most fearless, brave and dangerous young men in the word, stated by Watchman.
Feral may seem angry all the time but he is a rather complicated person, due to his violent and horrific past. He has very little patience for those around him, which only adds to his gruff demeanor and solo attitude. He prefers to be alone due to him disliking and distrusting the company of others. Despite his grumpy nature, he has a very dry sense of humor, constantly insulting others and giving them demeaning nicknames. Feral doesn’t hesitate to harm or kill and harbors no true remorse or guilt over his violent actions, though he feels like maybe he should. His past has emotionally scarred and hardened him to make himself used to the pain and suffering he has endured, from his childhood trauma to his experience as a lab experiment. He is therefore less inclined to show mercy toward his opponents, anyone else that attacks him or even those who simply anger him.
Despite his willingness to use violence, he’s still a moral person who does not do so needlessly, nor does he attack innocent people. While many would describe him as cynical and pessimistic—and accurately so—he is a good person and will always stand up for those who can’t defend themselves, or at the very least be willing to avenge them. Since joining the Sidekicks, he has shown a capacity to show some restraint and perhaps even mercy, though he has no restraint or regret for unleashing his animal side on those deserving of such violence. Due to his status on the team, he tries really hard to simply incapacitate his opponents.
While officially a member of the Sidekicks, Feral prefers to be alone. He has a deep mistrust and disrespect for people, regardless of whether they are human or paranormal. This attitude also stems from having people he trusted betray him. He shows signs of self-loathing for his violent past and the pain he has endured.
Feral is extremely loyal and protective over those few who can gain his trust and respect. He is completely ready to sacrifice his life if it will someone he cares about and he will stop at nothing to protect his friends. Despite his blunt personality, Feral has made some connections with his teammates, most notably Hyper-Girl.
He is a man of vice; he loves to drink alcohol and smoke (especially cigars) knowing that neither can really effect his health due to the extensive nature of his mutations. He hates flying.
His most notable traits are his temper and attitude. Feral seems constantly angry and is very easy to become enraged. Though he’s capable of rational thought, he has said himself that he has an animal side to himself, and that animal side is quick to act. This side if feral and primal, causing him to become instinctual and berserk, especially in combat. This part of him is triggered by anger, gear, frustration, great annoyance, general distress or intense pain. It results in his becoming highly aggressive and mindlessly brutal, similar to an animal, as he is prone to roar with rage in such cases. This brute-like side of Feral makes it easy for him to kill and harm without hesitation.
Feral was born Dmitri Valentine in Boston, the adopted son of an accountant and a high school mathematics teacher. He had a relatively normal upbringing and was raised to be a vegan pacifist by his gay parents. A tolerant and open-minded young man, Dmitri was well-liked by his teachers and peers, and he was always noted to be a handsome and charming boy.
Things changed when he was, seemingly at random, by the ape-like Dr. Simian when he was twelve years old. Dmitri, along with a “crop” of other boys, was taken to Simian’s mountain lair where they were subjected to rigorous and torturous regimens of exercise and experimentation. Many of the subjects died or were transferred to “other programs”.
Life in the facility was a hellish nightmare from which Dmitri could not awaken. He was poked, prodded, invaded, shocked, burned, cut and tortured for years before Simian determined that Dmitri was genetically perfect for a new procedure that would tamper with his genetics to trigger a ativistic mutation. These painful, nightmarish experiments would prove a success, turning Dmitri into the monstrous Feral.
Feral was tormented and prodded, trained to hate the guardians. He was trained to hunt, trained to fight and trained to kill. Simian’s intention seemed to be to grow more monsters like him as an army to use against the Guardians. Feral, in his animal-like mindset, served Simian without hesitation: he was Simian’s attack dog and assassin for years.
It wasn’t until the Guardians went up against Simian that Feral began to remember himself. Beast Master calmed Feral down with his super powers and helped his human mind resurface. The experience was excruciating both physically and psychologically, and while he doesn’t remember nearly killing Dr. Simian or the Machinist, he knows it happened.
Due to his age—he was about 16 or 17 at this time—it was decided that Beast Master would be his mentor, teach him how to master his animal instincts and maybe even use what Simian had done to do some good. The road has been rough for Feral, but he’s worked hard to control his berserker rage and become something more than Simian’s disgraced pet.