Ruthless, efficient mercenary with a malleable physiology.
Real Name: Earl Duke
Nationality: United States of America
Species: Male Human [Paragon]
Spasm’s powers are derived from the Event, which caused a body-wide mutagenic process that transformed his physiology. Spasm effectively exists in a fluid state, neither entirely liquid or solid. He has complete control over his entire molecular structure.
- Durability: Spasm’s powers augment his durability. He is able to withstand corrosives, punctures and concussions without sustaining any injury (though he can be stunned).
- Elasticity: He can stretch his limbs and body to superhuman lengths and sizes. He can stretch about 160 yards.
- Regeneration: He is able to regenerate and/or assimilate lost or damaged tissue.
- Size Alteration: Spasm is capable of increasing in size and mass. The largest height he’s been observed growing was to about ~25 feet.
- Shapeshifting: Spasm is capable of contorting his body into various positions and sizes impossible for ordinary humans, such as being entirely flat so that he can slip under a door or using his fingers to pick conventional locks. There are virtually no limitations to the shapes he can assume.
- Superhuman Agility: These stretching powers give Spasm heightened agility, enabling him flexibility and coordination that is extraordinarily beyond the natural limits of the human body.
- Superhuman Strength: His new molecular state has enabled him to lift around 800 lbs. with ease.
- Telepathic Immunity: Spasm’s mind is no longer organic, and as such it is untouchable by telepathy.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat: Spasm is a former green beret and pro wrestler, and through nearly a decade of military work, Spasm has become a considerable hand to hand combatant, versed in several forms of unarmed combat. He is brutally efficient.
- Marksmanship: Spasm’s history in the military and mercenary work means that he is extremely skilled with a large variety of firearms.
Spasm is a cold, ruthless and efficient mercenary and killer. He’s silent and intimidating, using his uniform and shapeshifting powers to frighten his foes before he engages them. He is known to be arrogant and cruel, though he’s not the smartest villain in the room.
Money and his reputation are the most important things to him. He tends to live large and go to nightclubs between missions. His loyalty is as strong as the amount of money he’s being paid. He’s not known for taking prisoners.
Little else is known about Spasm, as he’s surprisingly good at keeping his personal life hidden. Not so much from the heroes as from other villains.
What is known is that Spasm was once a member of the Green Berets and Spasm was his handle when he began pro-wrestling. The problem is that his name, Earl Duke, doesn’t bring up any results. The name is thought to be an alias but telepathic scans have, so far, been unable to bring up any real results.
Spasm has a history with the Guardians, having first encountered Watchman in Bedlam City in 2003, a full year before the formation of the team. Since then, he’s gone up against the Guardians on many occasions, both individually and collectively. He’s been involved in several multi-villain team ups, though his loyalty to “the cause” in such cases is rarely ironclad.